Weekly TAPPN Report giving the latest news
Message Sent via Phone Call
We will update this page with the Weekly Message sent out over the phone system. Check back to see the latest news.
Good Afternoon Parents, students, and staff,
This is Joycelyn Cassidy, Principal of HCMS, and I am bringing you our weekly TAPPN Report for the two weeks of March 20 to March 31. All information shared in this report is also posted on the school website.
Parents as the weather improves, we ask that you review the dress code on pages 18-19 of the student handbook. A reminder of the dress code was sent home with progress reports earlier in the week. Parents will be called for additional clothing and/or the student will be assigned to ISS if it is their third violation. Please pay close attention to the section on length of attire and leggings, tights and jeggings. A copy of the handbook is also posted on the school website.
8th grade parents, the Parent meeting that was announce as being scheduled on March 21 has been changed. The meeting will now be held on Wednesday March 22; 6:30 to 8:00. Information regarding registration, course offerings programs and academies will be presented. There will also be a session in which you may participate in a conversation with the principal. There is a link on the HCMS website that connects you to the WOHS website for more information. The GC from WOHS was here on March 13 and 14 to begin the transition process. Registration forms were distributed and should be return to HCMS by March 27. Students will go to WO for a musical matinee and to tour the school on March 29.
Baseball tryouts will begin Tuesday, March 28th. Tryouts will begin promptly after school and finish at 4:30. To attend tryouts, students must have an updated physical on file as well as having attended the athletic parent meeting. Those planning on trying out need to bring their glove. Cleats are recommended but not required. There will be one additional parent meeting for parents on March 27 8:00-10:00 AM in the media center. Any parent whose student is also interested in trying out for track may also attend.
Parents OC policy states that proof of residence must be provided any time there is an address change. The proof of residence can be in the form of a water or electric bill. If an address change has been requested, please bring the documentation to the front office. It is very important to do so to prevent delay in receipt of important information that is mailed home. Addresses will not be changed until these documents are provided.
Our PBIS are looking for volunteers to help with our PBIS store and the final school wide dance. If you would like to assist with the school store (10:00-12:20) please contact Ms. Morris. Our PSP is also looking for volunteers and support. If you would like to assist with the PSP in ANY capacity, please send your name and contact information to the office. PSP will be looking for assistance with activities for Teacher Appreciation Week in May. If you can assist with donations (monetary or gift cards, concession items, hands-on participation or any level in between, please just let us know.
Curriculum Tidbit for this week:
EC 6th is working on Text Structures. We are underlining or highlighting key words in texts to break down the parts of the sentences to understand for answering questions. In math please consider the following test taking tips: Memorize formulas and then when given the exam, write the formulas on the sheet of paper; read question carefully to understand what it is asking you to do; eliminate answers that you know could not be correct. Practice these strategies for any and all assessments to work toward success. For all assessments encourage your child to complete their Testing Evidence sheet. This resource helps to focus students on the question and the process for selecting the correct answer.
Yearbooks are still on sale. The price is now $30.00. A link is provided on the HCMS website and will also have order forms for the yearbooks.
Other important dates and announcements:
- Chess practice continues to take place every Monday in the café 2:15-3:30.
- 8th Grade will participate in the district CTE showcase scheduled for Tuesday 3/21 and the American Legion Bldg. The CTE showcases the curriculum highlights in a variety of vocational areas sponsored by each of the high schools.
- Soccer games and volleyball matches are on the following dates:
o Wednesday, March 22 and Monday, 3/27 we host NPMS and JCMS. Start time for the games are 4:00 and admission is $4.00
- The Scholastic Book Fair is coming to HCMS beginning March 22nd and will be here through April 3rd. Help raise money for the library by getting a book to enjoy!
- March 23 is the final ERPD day for this year. Students will be released around 11:15. Car riders will need to be picked up by 11:15. Students cannot remain after school due to teachers involved in various professional development meetings across the county.
· Soccer and Volleyball team pictures will be taken on March 27th. Photo envelopes will be sent home with the athletes.
- Our 8th grade travels to WO on March 29 as part of preparation for transition to the high school. Students will also view the Musical and then tour the high school.
- The last day of the marking period is March 29.
- Our Civic Oration is scheduled for Thursday, March 30 beginning at 8:30 in the media center.
This ends our weekly TAPPN report for the week of 3/20 to 3/31. If you have any questions, please call 910-353-2147. All information shared in this report is also posted on the school website. Thank you and enjoy the rest of your weekend. Good-bye!